Sunday, April 25, 2010

Work Ethic

I want to expand my last topic a bit, and talk about working some more. I talked about the possible closure of the store I work at, the loss of my job. Now, while I don't wanna lose my job, I also really don't care if this company goes under. I feel no attachment to my work, no desire to see it go on past my own need for a paycheck. This company has done nothing to endear me to them, to make me want to continue working there.

It's not just this company, all stores I've worked with have this problem. The simple fact is that I don't care about this business, so why should I work my hardest? Well, because they pay me is the obvious answer. I don't want to sound greedy, but that's just not enough. Paying someone is only going to ensure they work hard enough not to get fired, without any real connection to their work, there's no real motivation to surpass whats required.

My job now pays me a little more than minimum wage, and only give me two shifts a week. Last year they removed the option for annual raises. I can work my hardest, and it will not effect my paycheck, my reward. I can skirt by with the bare minimum, I can try to excel, in the end I receive the same paycheck.

And this isn't just about money. There's no sense of pride in what I do, I don't have any real sense of satisfaction when completing a task well. I'm just a low level employee, completely replaceable. The company gives me nothing for doing an okay job, and nothing for doing an exemplary job. I feel for this job like I feel for a Doctor's appointment, I don't want to be there but it's necessary, and a doctor will give you sweets afterwards for being a good patient.

If you are reading this and you work in retail, fast food, tech support, or the service industry in general, do you get a sense of satisfaction from your work? I'm not asking if you're happy with your job, I mean the actual work itself, does you feel pride when completing a task, or is it just another check on the list? Does your work job appreciate you, reward you for good work and offer you something for exceptional work? Are you able to have a connection with your job, or is it just a place you go to make money?

Whats your work ethic?

No comments: