Thursday, April 29, 2010

The Weather Outside is Frightful

I'm once again going to talk about weather. Though this time, it won't be in a nice introspective metaphor, it won't represent adaptation and resilience. No, this is gonna be a bit more real, and a bit less happy. I'm gonna talk about something that is being debated all over, something that shouldn't really be debated anymore. I'm gonna talk about something that effects every living person on this planet, I'm gonna talk about Climate Change.

Yesterday I checked the weather, as I normally do, to see if it would be necessary to grab a jacket for work. I saw that it was predicted highs in the sixties, lows in the thirties. I'm going to repeat that, for it bears repeating. The weather services were saying that throughout the day it may reach sixty degrees, or go down as low as thirty. That's a thirty degree margin of temperature, let me tell you, thirty degrees is the difference between sitting comfortably in a hammock with a nice book, and freezing your nipples off.

Now I understand, of course, that the weather is never one hundred percent predictable. There are simply too many variables to reliably know what will happen, but a thirty degree margin of error is a rather wide margin of error. Throughout the day the wind howled and chilled the air, it remained at a constant between forty and fifty degrees. It was cold... It was cold at the tail end of April, the middle of Spring. Now today the temperature has pushed seventy all day, all I would like is some consistency.

And this is not a new occurrence, though. For years now the weather has been erratic and strange. Winter not starting till late November, Summers that shift from mild to flesh frying within a daily basis. I've never in my life seen colder Winters and hotter Summers than I have in the past few years. The weather is becoming wild, it's shifting, it's changing...

Whether or not you want to argue if it's Global Warming or not, whether you want to debate on if it's man made or a natural occurrence, something is changing. I don't need the science, the studies, the research, or the arguments to see or feel that the weather is becoming more erratic. I don't need to have the government put together a think tank to get to the bottom of Global Warming. I don't need to see a petition of countries and governments of who think Global Warming is real. I need to see forward movement.

The arguing, the debating, they only go on and on, and they all miss the point. The point isn't on who is right and wrong, it doesn't really matter. The point is that we are doing nothing to prepare, nothing to work on a solution. We bicker on the cause, the result, the name it should be designated, but what people fail to discuss is what needs to be done to adjust to the coming change. Our world leaders are arguing on whether or not a flood is coming, instead of building a boat.

I'm not worried about the flood, I'm worried about the boat.

No comments: