Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Poetry and made up words

Never put your faith in a stranger
They will steadfastly let you down
Without realizing the danger
Oblivious to your loss of ground.

Never put your faith in a lover
For they wield a power untaught
Once the words surround you
The damage can never be unwrought






So I was writing the shitty poem above you hoping to get inspired to write something when I stumbled upon a realization. As much as I love words and all their glory, I make up a fuckload of them.

Example: Unwrought.... Not a word. You all know what I mean when I said it. But it's REALLY not a word.

The more I think the more I realize I do this more often than not. I take a real word and add things to it. A prefix here, a suffix there. A completely non-realistic word there.

And then I realized something else... No WONDER people hate talking to me so much. Half of what I said... isn't a real language. Ha!

My friends have always said I have Mandaisms

And I just thought it was my phrasing but.. blast it all, I just have my own damn language again.

Lovely.




So now that I know
How I ruin my fav'rite
Language, yay me.

4 comments:

Rick said...

2 points

1) The poem did NOT suck :)
2) I love Mandaisms :) :)

Toast said...

Ok, psh, do you know how many famous writers and authors have made up their own words?
Lots...I'm pretty Shakespeare has made up plenty--*and* he made up his own phrases for things as well.
It's just...expanding your ability to express yourself? :p

Toast said...

And by "I'm pretty Shakespeare"...I meant "I'm pretty *sure* Shakespeare."

But hey, I could probably make a pretty Shakespeare. I bet I could pull off that Elizabethan ruff.

Manda said...

Darling, you so could. It has to happen.