Sunday, June 6, 2010

Cultural

In a previous article I alluded that I would one day give my insight on my ideas of culture. For a long while I held off on this one, because I didn't really have any sort of counter ideal to put up against the social norm, but today my mind was centered on the gaming community and more importantly gaming culture. Here we have millions of people all coming together, all finding a common interest. These people from all walks of life, all shapes, sizes, religions, races, all with something to share with each other. They all take pride in their culture, but you know what? It's open to any who wish to join, and that's my problem with Heritage and National Pride.

I am Irish, Irish-German actually, but only a small part German so lets just go with Irish for now. I am American, I am an East Coaster, I am a Jersey Boy, all of these things describe where I come from, none of these things mean anything to who I am. Already I can feel the hatred of some who hold a particular pride in their heritage or region of birth... But why? As the great late George Carlin would say, pride should be reserved for something you achieve, not a happenstance of birth. The fact that my great grandparents were born in Ireland makes me no more Irish than a man who's great grandparent's were born in Africa.

And the very same can be said about the land you were born into. I'm American, and I'm glad I was born here. I do honestly enjoy my country, but I would never show pride in the simple fact that I was born here... I had no control of that. Now I can be proud of America, even though there are times I am not, but to be proud to be an American, well it leaves the unintended implication that it is shameful to be anything else. You have people, as much alike as they are different, beating their chest in their pride, in their invisible link to land. They all draw the sand around each other, and tout how much greater they are than the others.

Culture should not be all inclusive. To draw a line in the sand, to limit a community to one, it simply creates ego and segregation. Culture needs to be about a common interest, not a common birthplace. Culture needs to be about people sharing something, whether it be pride in gaming, food, music, science fiction, sports, or anything else. It should invite new people to keep the culture ever growing and ever evolving. It needs to be something that's as diverse as it is unique.

Now I am not saying that heritage and national cultures are a bad thing, but they're not something to be prideful of, they're something to be respected and explored. But when you're prideful of something that no other can join, that is where hate and racism blossom, to build a community that is made up of one destroys diversity. The idea that where your ancestors have come from has any impact on you as a person today to me is offensive, and the forced ideology that you must therefore have pride in those people you don't know is something I simply cannot comprehend.

Respect who you were, be proud of who you become.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"The idea that where your ancestors have come from has any impact on you as a person today to me is offensive..."

How so? Where my ancestors came from influenced me a lot, in fact: my taste in food and a good portion of my mannerisms. And no, this "pride" of where I have come is not a forced ideology, either. I embrace it because it grounds me. I bet you are part "Irish" from many, many years ago... too far back to count. Your argument is null and void because it does not even bother to include 1st, 2nd, or maybe even 3rd generational people, who are the biggest group of people that are often "prideful" of their heritage.

Will-Mun said...

I enjoy having heard that my argument is null and void because of how far back my 'nationality' come from, despite the fact I specifically mention that my great grandparents were born in Ireland. In fact, you can even go so far as to say my Grandparents, who spent a great portion of their lives in Ireland before coming to America.

It is offensive to me simply because I am not defined by where my family comes from. I am defined by my actions and my desires. I have stated very clearly that your cultural heritage deserves respect and exploration, they do have a place in our culture, but should not be the basis of such.

My argument is not null and void because it includes ALL people with national pride, whether it be second generation or tenth. I am a born American, and yet I stated that pride in your own Country is faulty just as much as pride in your distant nationality is.

And when you get right down to it, going back to the dawn of man... we all come from the same place anyway.