Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Experience

It comes to my attention, that attempting to be a columnist with my lifestyle is difficult. I'm a young man living in a suburb. I rarely go out, and when I do, it's to a movie or a food joint. My job is slinging movies at a rental retail establishment, hardly an exciting job for a hardly exciting life. Why do I bring this up? Well, each time it's my day to write, I sit here and wonder what I will write about, and it comes to be more and more difficult with each passing day.

My opinions become more and more philosophical, my stories are lacking if not nonexistent, I talk to my audience like a motivational speaker. Now I do enjoy these articles, talking about the nature of life, it's troubles from a metaphysical sense, not about what actually challenges us, but how we challenge ourselves mentally... But then, that's not the meat and potatoes of what I want to be as a writer.

I write opinion pieces, I need to start displaying my opinions. Need to start writing about things that matter. What I need to do is get out more, experience something, have a story to tell my readers that can be woven into some overarching point. I need to make my job easier for me. Start talking about the actual blocks and not the metaphysical blocks.

Need to get some real experience.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know your desire, the want to just go and find something amazing. But the fact of the matter is that most people's lives (at least on the outside) appear very boring and mundane for about %75 of the time they are alive. This is not because life actually is boring, but because we are all workwer drones. Some of us go to movies. Others sit at home and serf the web. That's just life my friend. What makes it amazing is when you look at it and see that it is amazing.

Anonymous said...

Oh, almost for got *smacks your face hard* WHORE!

*walks off*

Rick said...

I too desire to go out & experience life to a fuller extent, but with health restraints & money lacking tis not possible right now. I know how you feel at least to some degree

e said...

^ health, maybe, but money has nothing to do with experience. if you want to go out, then go out.