Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Manda is touchy about her family

What makes someone family? Is it the blood running through their veins or the way they make you feel when you're around them?

I have great family and I'll admit, not all of them happen to share the same blood as me. But a lot of them do. I have a large and insane family.

I have grandmothers galore who are different as the seasons, a brother who just has to follow his own path, a soon to be sister-in-law who I'm learning more and more about, a father who is an unknown superhero, a mother who can seriously do anything she puts her mind on whether a piece of art or finishing that long road she's followed for years. I have best friends as different as the sun and moon, an aunt and uncle who are worlds of their own, little cousins who are like nephews to me who I get to watch grow into someone new everyday and a sister-cousin who is just as good a best friend if not better and just as insane.

My family grows each time I sit down and listen to someone's problems without judging them, each time someone sits down and lets me cry on their shoulder.

Even within the family I already have, I rediscover them day to day.

For example my sister, Christina. I've known Christina all my life but only recently did I start to know Stina. Stina- the person, the mother, the wife, the daughter, the granddaughter, the softy for animals, the horror movie buff, the uncertain, the shy, the worried, the phenomenal.

How I managed to be around her for so long without realizing how special this woman was just shows how asleep I was before.

Then there is Will, my other blogger half. He's my family. He's seen me at my highest high, my lowest low, and my complete and utter midpoint.
He knows me probably better than I know my own damn self. Sure, he has no blood relation to me and I wouldn't even have met him if it wasn't for a trick of fate and Joss Whedon's powerful pull. He's been there for me when I felt so alone. Do don't you DARE tell me he it not my family.

Family is a wonderful thing, don't limit it. let your family grow. Let your family be just as big as you can.

Because, darling, there's never enough love in this fucked up world.


-Manda


PS... Just so see if I get any replies... Here are some questions for you to comment on.

How do you define family?
How large is your family?
Who is your closest family member?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I define family as blood relations, and also the awesome friends Ive got who know my deepest innermost secrets :)

I have a large closeknit online family, not too sure how many, but lots & gaining more each & everyday. My favourite & closest family member, online at least, is the wonderful charasmatic kooky (in a very good way) Manda

Manda said...

Awwwwww, A!

Matthew T said...

Family...

I firstly thought this was a very grand topic, one I've stopped to think about myself a lot, having a rather mixed family on one side and not very populated one on another. Plus there is Tiffs family who is definitely the ones we spend most time with. But family for me is defined by both those that are blood related and those that one spends enough time with, therefore they become special and dear in our hearts.

I'd say my closet family member is Tiffany, but I hold so many others close that there are too many to count. What I think is really special is when one stops one day and just thinks, wow... that person did this for me, listened to me when I needed a friend to lean on or shoulder to cry on. And that's so special and that is the number one criteria that makes someone a good family member, even if they aren't blood related.

Family can be the ones we hold dearest to our hearts and grow accustomed to, they can also at times be those that we get most annoyed with and must escape from for periods of time. Nevertheless they are those we also find time to help and venture back to in times of need and despair. A family is truly a wonderful thing, I agree we should never limit it in size or variety, don't let others define it to a traditional bounds or mind set, family members are those whom help one and other through the best and worst.

Just my thoughts, but great topic!

Anonymous said...

My definition of family? It would have to be those I care about the most. I have my blood relations, who I love despite their lack of really understanding my ideals and values, while I also have another family who have worked their way into my heart with understanding and laughs. They are as different as day and night, and I can't help but love them both for all their quirks and amazing talents. My closest family member is my sister, also one of the authors of this here blog. She showed my so much, but most importantly she showed me (and still does) how to grow as a person.