Thursday, April 1, 2010

Blocked

Over the past couple weeks I've talked a lot about preforming projects, especially creatively. I've talked about motivation, time, and the difficulty of starting a project. One thing I've hinted at but never addressed is the dreaded Writers Block. The infuriating inability to progress or move forward in your writing.

I can tell you first hand how frustrating it is to be unable to write. It's not lack of motivation, because I want to write, it's not lack of ideas because my mind is teeming with them. It just doesn't happen, the words don't come out right if at all. It's infuriating, it's frustrating, it gets to be depressing... You end up not wanting to write anymore.

The block makes you feel like you can't do it anymore, that you're not good enough. You stop writing all together, not wanting to try because the block is just too large to overcome. It's hard so you stop trying, you give up without really starting.

Great writers can overcome it, they push past the difficulty, and find a way to produce. All of this comes not only to writing, but any project. Sometimes you just can't find a way to go on, you find your own block in life, you want to just stop. What you need to do is just bite your lip and move on. The way to get past it is to stop thinking and just move forward even if what you're producing isn't great. You fix it later, your job is to keep moving till it becomes easier.

And now I can't think of a closing line, damn it.

1 comment:

Rick said...

I myself have always had trouble writing, I can verbalize perfectly but somewhere between brain & fingers it takes a left instead of a right & never comes out.