Saturday, March 13, 2010

Cynical Life

Have you ever watched kids play at the park? Complete strangers yet all it takes is the mutual love of a red slide to create a bond of friendship. What changes when you become an adult? And is it really for the better? As human beings grow older we grow more complex but we seem to take this as we must block out more and more people in order to "know" ourselves. I've always thought the meaning of life is knowledge. How can you accumulate knowledge with any sort of importance without collecting friends, neighbors and the masses to share and be with? What happens as we age that makes us want to block more and more people out?

Is the distrust of people that we grow, that cynicism, usefully, needed, important? Or maybe it's just modern paranoia? Would it be better to go to that childlike innocence?

Why do we learn such distrust, even with people who have never hurt us and would logically have no inclination to hurt us?

I understand, life throws us curve balls left and right, making it harder to trust, making it harder to accept people like we did back in the park, back when things were as simple as "I like her because she shares the big red slide".

I guess, what I'm trying to say is... I wish I was less cynical, but I do not know if that is a good thing or not.

2 comments:

Rick said...

I think cynicism is a good defence mechanism, but cynicism toward everyone isnt always so good

Unknown said...

I'm still of this "I like -said person- because they share the big red slide" mentality, however the slide keeps getting smaller. =(